19 Feb 2011

Mid Point Review

This is a work I did recently. Nobody Claim






In unit1, I chose ‘smoking’ as a theme of my project. I did some researches of smoking and tried to understand smokers’ thoughts of smoking. Also, I did different practises according to my project.
Walking on the streets, I took photographs of people who were smoking and discovered butts everywhere which I thought it was interesting. Using these pictures, I did some works about my project. On the Christmas show, I exhibited some photos of butts. Also, I did a short video about smoking. After this, I shaped my idea that combined smoking and time or space. Thinking time, I was thinking about how much time are people spending for smoking, e.g. smoke a cigarette will cost how much time. And I did a work about smoking and time in letterpress workshop. Thinking space, I also took photos of a street and used these photos to make a book. I found that spaces of smoking are worth to think about. Now the mid term is arriving. My last work about smoking is called Nobody Claim. It means people do not care much about the butts on the street. Nevertheless, these butts take some places on the street. It shows a long street on a book and I use white circle to highlight the butts on the street. They look like marks on the street. It is interesting. This work is not my final work of my idea. I need to do more practises.

To develop my study plan in the following term, I should focus on some impacts. I need to do more research about smoking and understand smokers’ thoughts about smoking. The aesthetic quality of photos I took can be better. I should improve the skills of taking photography. In addition, I should try different papers to print my works and do more experiments to present my concept. And I need to choose a proper way to show my work. In sum, I should do more experiments to find a way to improve my work that can express my idea better.

No comments:

Post a Comment