11 Jul 2011

Experiments about Burning Marks

After the class with Silke Dettmers last Wednesday, I really thought about my budget and the experiments of burning marks on surfaces of some beautiful things. I don't have so many money to buy an ipad, then burning cigarettes on it. However, I still did some experiments last weekend.

Firstly, I thought about damage of smoking. I came up an idea that when I 'open' some beautiful things and I find it is broken inside. For this, I made some experiments. Cut some fruit half and put burning cigarettes on them. It would leave cigarette marks on the surfaces of these fruit.



It is an interesting experiment, but the marks I got were not so strong and the visual effect was not very good. What can be open? Books. I did another experiment with books.




Maybe because the papers are not thick enough, so it damaged so badly. Then I tried another paper - hand made paper. It looks better.



After this experiment, I changed my mind. I want to do another book about cigarette marks. When I burned cigarettes on a book, I got different marks in different pages. They are fading out with pages. If you read this book from the 'lighter mark' page, then you found the marks would be darker and darker. It likes addiction and damages of smoking. The marks are lighter, because you do not smoke a lot at the begining. With time flies, you are addicted to smoking, you smoke a lot and the marks will be darker. The damage of smoking are the same, darker marks mean damage more in body.

So I got this idea and I do need to try more differet papers.

No comments:

Post a Comment